Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Whole 30 Challenge Completion

Whole 30 challenge complete.  What did I learn?  I have INCREDIBLE willpower!!  I feel better...overall...but really no other significant changes (no drastic weight loss).   It really makes you think about what you are putting in your body and how what you eat makes you feel.
So, for 30 days I ate nothing but whole foods, no grains (corn is a grain), no dairy, no legumes (no PB), nothing from a box, no added sugar, no protein shakes, no soft drinks, and no alcohol. Only Fruits, Vegetables, Meat, Seeds, Nuts, Water, Coffee and Tea were my daily foods.  WHOLE FOODS
example of whole 30 supper
I am not saying it was easy, or that I was successful 100% of the time, I would give myself a 95% pass rate.  We had and attended parties where I had to decline alcohol and the other party snacks.  I was the one hovering over the veggie and fruit trays.  We went out to eat multiples times where I ensured my food met my Whole 30 standards as close as possible.  Challenges were presented and overcame.
You have to plan.  Menus are great!  I made every meal (minus the weekly one meal out).  I work Full Time, kids are in activities…time is limited, but I still ensured we ate good healthy meals.
I was never hungry.  I set two Personal Records during these 30 days at Crossfit, 215lb Dead Lift and 175lb Back Squat.  So, my strength did not suffer during this time, if anything I am stronger.  I slept well (except for that one dream about the Diet Coke) and never lacked for energy.  This challenge also made my kids (although they did not participate) a little more conscious of how food makes them feel.  As a parent, I have to set the example.
Now that the Challenge is over…what is next? I will continue to eat whole foods….I will probably add back in gluten-free grains and peanut butter, I will attempt to avoid dairy and most soy, I won’t eat processed foods or those from a box.  I will check the labels, if I can’t pronounce an ingredient or know where it came from, I won’t eat it.  I did have a protein shake this morning using Egg White protein, almond milk, and frozen fruit, I have missed those, and I ENJOYED IT.  I have a soft pretzel in my refrigerator at home, tempting me…I have been looking forward to eating it, but as I sit here thinking about my last 30 days, I wonder if I really want it. 
I am writing this to share my experience with this challenge…maybe you care, maybe you don’t…but at least now you are informed.


No comments:

Post a Comment